Monday, June 29, 2015

Starry Night for Josh - the final layout

It's the final layout ( for some reason I am singing that as a song.... hmmmm ... like :Its the final countdown")

Designing Quilts is  bit like wearing my heart on my sleeve. I LOVE what I have designed, and then hope that others do too.  I told you before that this one was inspired by Josh - hence the name in the title. But I also tried to see what Josh might see when up in the Blackhawk - and interpret it as a quilt....

Are you ready???


The best way for me to assemble this quilt is to lay it out according to the diagram. I stitch each row together, and press.

*For rows 1,3,5,7,9 I will press one direction,
*and the other rows press the opposite before sewing together.

There are actually two different layouts –

Here is the original layout:



.. Or you can turn the large stars to spin another way – giving you two variable options.


Here is the Variable option – check out the big Red Stars – they turn differently




Who is this Josh that the pattern was named for?  ( I know - I told you at the beginning - but I just wanted to tell you again)


Josh (Chief Warrant Officer 2) was assigned to the third helicopter battalion and was shot down during Operation Enduring Freedom by enemy fire. Six of the Seven soldiers on board were killed, including Josh.  Josh is also the son of two of my most favorite people in the world. Josh's Dad is a VietNam Veteran.

Because Josh flew in a Helicopter – I thought the stars would be what he saw from the air – and the 9 patches sort of look like lights in houses. And of course the blue would be the skies and the night colors.

I hope you enjoyed stitching this quilt!

The full pattern will be available in my Craftsy Pattern Store HERE AlyciaQuilts Pattern Store

13 comments:

Judy V. in Thornton, CO said...

What a beautiful and meaningful way to remember Josh!

Julie in GA said...

I love it & can't wait to finish putting mine together!

Annmarie said...

What can I say - IT IS AWESOME! I've saved all the directions & hope to get at it yet this summer. Thanks so much for sharing your creativity & skill.

Gypsy Quilter said...

What a lovely tribute to a very brave soldier. Thank you for sharing.

LizA. said...

Aha! I couldn't for the life of me, figure out how you were going to set all these units....alas, I don't have anymore big chunks of blue left for the bigger squares and can't get to my favorite store to get them....all those fire trucks.......will have to wait.....

Patti said...

This is the first mystery quilt I've done. Very fun & a little hard to trust my fabric choices but now I like them. I love this pattern! I think the first layout is my favorite. I really didn't see what the pattern would be & it's a fun surprise. I'm behind because of more health issues. I have the half square triangles pinned & ready to sew but hoping to finish this week.

Missy Shay said...

Your quilt looks great, I love the pattern.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

What a wonderful quilt! wished I had sewed along with you!

Farm Quilter said...

What a fabulous tribute to a wonderful, brave soldier. As the mother of a soldier, thank you for showing so much love to Josh and his family.

Mary said...

This is beautiful. Thanks for sharing with us. What a wonderful tribute to Josh and his ongoing remembrance.

Anonymous said...

Great quilt! I have save each step and hope to get going on it very soon, now that the exciting reveal has occurred. Thanks for all you do.

Gina in Missouri
hared@iland.net

Susan said...

Very nice! Great layout!

Dirt Road Quilter said...

What a wonderful way to commemorate Josh and his service to our country - your design is just perfect and I have added it to my list and hope to get it made soon. Thank you for sharing it - and Josh - with us.