Wednesday, February 21, 2018

THE PATRIOT - Clue #2




MQ4M A7 Clue #2



For this clue you are making 12 Rail Blocks.  The blocks need to finish at 9 ½ inches.



You will be using your Reds and Whites.  This block needs to be Red White Red White Red – It should be more than 3 rails, and up to as many rails as you like AS LONG AS IT IS BORDERED BY RED ON BOTH ENDS






I did mine all scrappy as I needed to use Strings up – and I like scrappy.  You can also do them with yardage. 

Scrappy Rails
Cut your Red and White Strings at least 10 inches long, using various widths.


I sewed Red/White/Red/White and then pressed. Then I measured the width and decided it I could use thin or wide strips to finish them – some ended up only 5 rails, most ended up 7 to 9 rails 


My goal was to make them 10 inches by 10- ish inches, then trim down to 9 ½ inches.





YARDAGE Option:

You can cut each strip even – this math works out to 2 5/16 inch strips – well I suck at that cut – so how I would do it is – 


use the Red rails at 2 ½ by 9 ½ and use white Rails at 2 inches by 9 ½ inches – then you get an easy cut and a block at 9 ½ by 9 1/2 inches.


If you decide to use yardage – you need 36 red strips and 24 white strips


 Again this clue can be downloaded in my Craftsy Store as a pdf ( for free)
Quiltygirl Pattern STore

There were a few Questions from last week - how often will the clues come out? Each Wednesday until we are done.

if I post it on my blog can I share - yes - and please leave the direct link in a comment for me to follow - I would love that!!!

Can my group sew along - OF course - the More QOV's made, the More Veterans loved on, the better!!


PS - Someone asked for A Pinterest Board... please know I am not the best Pinner - but here is a board
 https://www.pinterest.com/alyciaquilts/mystery-quilt-the-patriot/

4 comments:

Donna said...

How did you know I had a bunch of red strings to use up!??!! My hubby saw my star block on my ironing board and said "I think you messed up the star on this one!" Ha!

Showmethequilts said...

How big is our quilt going to be?

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I'm missing all the clues! I'm in Alaska, and can't print them out till I get home. I think all the fabrics I pulled for Kevin's Sapphire Star mystery will work for this quilt.

Kate said...

A great way to use up some scraps. Looking forward to the next clue!