Wednesday, April 16, 2014

How a presentation came to be:

I am sure you know by now that we meet Veterans in all sorts of locations, and find out their needs from friends, family etc.

One of our Quilt of Valor quilters Arlene, told me of such a person. She felt this person needed a quilt based on an experience that her Son in Law shared.  So I said - Let's do it!  

Liz - my wonderful side kick - who is also a Veteran, and is an amazing presentation coordinator took over! She got in contact with our recipient, and arranged a presentation.

From Liz: "Presenting this QOV to Bonnie was an amazing experience. I do believe that she was the most appreciative of all of the QOV we have presented. Reading the letter from Brad U was an exercise in composure -- so heart-warming and sincere! It is so obvious that Bonnie is loved and respected by all of the Staff at the VA Hospital."


I just love the look of happiness and really - surprise on her face. I am sure she knew what a Quilt was - but I am not sure she really *knew* about the Quilt of Valor...


This is Bonnie and her sister.


A little about Bonnie:

On October 23, 1983, 241 soldiers were killed in their sleep during the bombing of the Marine barracks in Beirut, Lebanon. For almost 30 days, Lieutenant Bonnie T. was the Mass Casualty Officer at Rhein Main Air Base in Frankfurt, Germany, assigned to help identify and process the body parts. Day after day, she did her duty, while trying to detach from the horror of it all.


I really love how our system works. I love that people know people who need a little extra love, and a big tight hug. I can tell you - This quilt totally made her day!

Go forth and Quilt ;-)

14 comments:

phxquilt said...

I know that quilt! The lady from our quilt club who made that quilt doesn't have a computer so I'm going to try to print out the picture so she can see it. She will be so pleased.

Cheryl said...

This is an amazing and touching story, thank you for sharing.

tealeafquilts said...

THat is a wonderful tribute. I too am a veteran and had a similar experience but certainly not as awful as that one. She truly deserved a QOV. I have one to present to a couple who recently lost their son, a navy seal. The father is a retired Navy commander so we are just waiting for the right time to do it. Letting some time pass.

Rhonda said...

You are a treasure Alycia......just wanted you to know that!!

Quiltin Jenny said...

Now you have me all weepy at work!

Thank you for sharing these presentations. They are each so special.

And thanks to Bonnie for making sure our heroes were treated with respect and laid to rest appropriately. I can't imagine doing that job, but I'm so grateful that she found the strength to do it.

Karen said...

Lt. Bonnie T. you're grace under fire and your commitment to those young Marines is an inspiration to all of us who thank-you for your service and your courage. May God bless you always. I remember that awful day.

Karen J.
Corona, Ca.

Unknown said...

Wow, that is awesome! So touching!

Terri S. said...

What a deserving soldier. She is truly one of the unsung heroes on the war on terror.

Unknown said...

This is a beautiful story, Alycia, and most deserved recipient. Well done. She is a prime example of those touched by war.

Kat Scribner said...

Wonderful, Wonderful story. I'm so glad there are people in a capacity able to reach these veterans. They deserve our ultimate hug of thanksgiving for their sacrifice. Thank you, veterans!

Anonymous said...

Woohoo...that's my sister in law presenting this beautiful quilt to a most deserving Veteran...wonderful organization...Kudos to Alycia and my snl Liz...
<3

Cathy said...

What an awesome quilt and an awesome lady!

Roslyn said...

So good to know that this vet and that horrific event are NOT forgotten, Alycia. Also wanted you to know that I just got my wonderful bundle from The Loopy Ewe, due to the generosity of Judy Laquidara!

Kevin the Quilter said...

What a wonderful story and presentation!