Wednesday, May 21, 2008

More Soldier Quilts

It was so wonderful to see the looks on the soldiers faces. They really appreciated the quilts, and the attention. The military tells us that the ratios of women to men injured in 1:10. We had at least 5 females at out ceremony. It was wonderful to have female quilts available as well. These two ladies loved the Red White and Blue.. It is amazing how the appropriate quilt found its owner.
~
I thought I had a picture of the tulip quilt.. but can't seem to find it. The Girls told me they gave the tulip quilt to a females soldier and she started crying. She was so excited because Pin was her favorite color and tulips were her favorite flower. She was just so tickled and loved the designs in it.
~
The soldiers were also told they could wear civilian clothing if they wanted to, only a few took them up on it, but this young lady did and she was so sweet. She could be my new best friend with all the ohhin and ahhing she did over all the quilts... and I didn't have to beg her like I do my boys (grin)
~
This gentlemen has a TBI and was very quiet. He was such a neat guy though. He talked with the kids and really loved his quilt as well. He decided it reminded him of the Rocky Mountains.
~
I am part of the Heartstrings group (http://www.heartstringsquiltproject.com and one member made this string quilt. We thought it would be perfect for a Quilt of Valor... and we were right. This soldier LOVED the quilt. They discussed the quilting design and how the strings made a cool pattern.. it was fun to watch!
~~
On a personal note - SCHOOL is OUT!! Yay - yesterday was the last day of school and I helped chaperone the play day at the middle school. So needless to say I am sunburned - apparently you need more sunscreen when you are paper white! So today was organize the sewing room day, and get the craft tables all organized for the summer. And then of course a little bowling with the grandparents... the boys loved that and I keep telling them they are tired tonite but they are not listening - my telepathy must not be working!
......Tomorrow is quilting day!
Have a great day!
Alycia




5 comments:

Vicki W said...

It's so great to see your photos and read the stories!

Mary Johnson said...

Alycia thanks for posting, it is so neat to see these soldiers with all their quilts but I admit I'm partial to the Heartstrings one.

bingo~bonnie said...

Alycia - I love seeing the photos on the Heartstirngs group but the stoy too!!! That is icing on the cake! :)

Thanks for taking the time to take photos and post about the soldiers receivng their quilts.

Happy Weekend & Love from Texas! ~bonnie

Margaux said...

I was one of the soldiers that was presented a quilt and just got out of brain surgery to recieve it.Thank you so much for the quilt and the support.
SGT Mange - Female, red white and blue cross quilt. It warms and comforts me.

Margaux said...

I was one of the soldiers that was presented a quilt. I just got out of brain surgery to receive it. I just wanted to tell everyone that it means so much for all of the support.
SGT Mange - Female, Red whit and blue cross quilt. Warms and comforts me