Pages

▼

Wednesday, August 26, 2026

Crumb Blocks QOV

 Every so often those scrap bins get full, so I would sit down and make crumb blocks. then! I put them in a pile. 

Remember - I am working on my piles - so I pulled that one out and was pleasantly surprised to see how many Red and Blue blocks I had... enough for a Whole - ish quilt.

Each blocks was 8 1/2 inches Square

This was the first layout - it was going to be about 56 x 72 - I typically like my QOV's to be 60 inches wide....
So I kept digging. I had started making these stars as leader/Enders - but they were 9 1/2 inches.

I laid them out to see if I even liked the idea before cutting them down.... 

This is the first idea →

I wasn't completely in love...
I kept playing and decided I liked them in a diagonal - that way it looked like it was intentional.. ( you buy that right?)



Then I trimmed the stars down to 8 1/2 inches and got to stitching

Voila - a 64 x 72 inch Quilt of Valor top. I have one Red and one Blue crumb block left. I think those are called *seeds* as you know more block may grow.... haha


Find me at all these places:


    
Etsy        Instagram      Facebook       Amazon    Ebay

(ps - a commission is earned on purchases from amazon thru my link)

14 comments:

  1. Amazing how all those blocks make such a pretty pattern! I like that diagonal star layout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely planned;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is just fantastic! Love the finished look!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The stars on the diagonal are perfect! What a great use of your crumb blocks and of course you have a few seeds left for the next one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully done :-))) You’ve done a wonderful job with the top. I really love the diagonal stars, and it’s great how the pattern starts over again...
    Sending you cheerful greetings.
    Viola

    ReplyDelete
  6. The most fun and delightful quilts are always being made in your quilt room, Alycia. Beautiful job on this crumb quilt. I love those strips of red!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the layout for this quilt! Amazing scrap quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome use of the stars with the crumb blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that diagonal star angle in this flimsy! What an awesome way to use crumb blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE working with crumbs and that is a fabulous scrappy QOV quilt top. My local QOV group doesn't like very scrappy quilts but maybe your design would change their minds.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous2:21 AM

    I like how your top came out finally! Often I work with diagonals, it is never boring for my eyes!
    Angela from the lower Rhine

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a great way to finish the blocks

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those star blocks really add the sparkle to the crumb blocks. Very fun setting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh, that's so cool! That's like getting a quilt for free!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day!! I love hearing your thoughts!!! Thank you for stopping by and being a part of my Quilting Journey