Tuesday, December 07, 2021

Day 5 - The Cliff Walk

 When we arrived in Newport - I asked the man at the Hotel desk - what is an easy walk in the morning. He said go do a little of the Cliff Walk - but when it runs out of pavement, turn back.....

Hmmm

So we checked it out , walked on it for a little bit, but on Day 5 I said - I want to Walk the Whole Thing - 

and so we did... but after the trail ran out you could still keep going, it was just rocky in parts, and wet ( from the ocean) in others, and you were following these little 5 inch disks towards the end - that just sorta led you  in the direction you should go.

It was a blast - and our whole walk was 8 miles, and I deserved a chocolate after that!

Oh but my, how it was GORGEOUS!!!  Get a coffee - there are a LOT of photos.

This is how the trail started - seems easy enough right? And it was - So Beautiful. It goes behind all of the Mansions - so you can see their beach views.  Some of the mansions are easy to see, others have huge hedges grown up so you really can't see. I like the idea of hedges, but I think in Colorado at my house - they would attract snakes in the summer, and then I would have to move, and it would be sad.



Proof that we were there. And funny enough - that day - was warm enough for T shirts!!

This is one of the mansions - but now it belongs to the college in Newport and! it is a residence hall. I so want to attend there - just to live in that mansion!!



I think If I didn't love where I live, an ocean view would be my next choice!


This is the back view of our summer cottage! Its the back view of the Breakers!! I am claiming it, I mean - if I say it is mine, surely someone will start to believe me right??


This is the Chinese Tea House. Not a great photo I know - but!! it was cool! It is behind the Marble Mansion that was built in 1888 and was the summer cottage of a different Vanderbilt - Alva and william. Alva divorced William but kept the house. She was a crusader for Womens equality...


Anyways - she used the Tea house for Suffragette meetings, and womens rallys. 

So this photo - is before we went into a Tunnel. I do not like tunnels and I do not like small spaces - so my husband said we had to have proof that I did it.



And look - the Light at the end of the tunnel ( and yes I took this photo)



and proof that I am on the other side. This is where the trail starts to get a little more fun!! These rocks are really awesome . There are a lot of signs to not fall here .... good advice right?

and then the trail take you this way... On the Beach - LOVE!!!



I just think this place is So pretty - but that trail..... see how it gets rockier ... 


Fisher man on the point. I thought about asking him what he caught - but ... does that scare the fish away?

you keep hiking thru stuff like this - and then you see a Beach club!!!









and you follow the trail to the end  - and Bam! You are right back on Mansion Alley!!! it was awesome!


The view from our place at the end of the day.
That was a great little place to stay!



Hope you had fun following along with us on this hike.... we go to Boston next!



8 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

What a wonderful vacation you had! Love all those mansions but I'm so glad I don't have to clean them. Looking forward to Boston!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I very much enjoyed this post, Alycia. Interest trail with so many different elements and I loved eyeing the mansions. Wow. Yes that would be quite the university residence. Wonderful exercise and now memories.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Beautiful photos!!

Delighted Hands said...

What an incredible hike--so much variety! I think some of those mansions look like insane asylums! the view of the ocean out of the tunnel is the best!!!

Kathleen said...

I have done the easy part of that hike, maybe when I was 13. Might be time to revisit Newport!

WeedyMama said...

Those rocks might be why it is called "The Breakers". Love the sunset pix.

Farm Quilter said...

Wow!! Stunning pictures! Can you imagine having a home like that and only using it during the summer?? I always imagine what a chore it would be to keep something like that clean - I know they had servants, but mercy, what a job! And the landscaping...they would need an army of people to keep it up! So good of them to provide so many jobs to the locals, right?? The picture you took from inside the tunnel is magical! I don't like tunnels either, but when you can see the end, that helps. I tried to go through the Subway tunnel created by a lava flow in northern California (not far from Burney Falls), but as soon as I got 10 feet inside, it got dark, no end in sight and the walls felt like they were closing in on me. I went back and waited in the truck for my daughters to do the walk together!

Michele said...

Love the pictures!