Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Book Reports!! I may have read more than One!!!

 

I think I might have found a time period that I love to read about. This one is also about a WWII Veteran. AND! a Woman Pilot.

It is told as Three Stories - intertwining into one event.  Max - the WWII Veteran, Johanna, the German Test Pilot ( see WOMEN PILOTS)  and Beth, Max's Daughter - who brings them all together.

I highly recommend it.







True to me : I will be honest - I chose it for the book cover, but it turned out to be a very interesting fictional read.

A daughter learns upon her mothers death, that the man she thought was her father is not, and that her family is from Hawaii. And this story is of how she decides to find her family, and the family she found.  

It is pretty cool - no women pilots though... 








I am hooked on a time period - I do believe! This book is loosely based on a Model turned Photographer during WWII - Lee Miller - . The fictional character in this book is named Jessica May.

There is the main story - about Jessica May and her adventure as a War Photographer, and then the sub plot of how  two worlds collide - with a current day character - D'Arcy.

There is a lot that I think I know about WWII, but then, reading this novel, there were things brought to the forefront about that war that I didn't know. Issues that maybe don't get talked about as much, especially ones about how we thought the  concentration camps were rumors, and not a reality.  

it is a long book, but I have to tell you - totally worth your time in reading it.  

7 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love reading books from the WWII era I will look and see what these books are further about and see if the library has them.

Sherrill said...

I like books with lots of action, bad guys, mystery, all sorts of things goin' down! HA I have read some set during WWII. I always check goodreads.com and look at the rating and read the summary. If it's a 4 or above, it's usually been a really good read. I think one of my favorite authors is William Kent Krueger--haven't read anything of his I didn't like.

Delighted Hands said...

the Hawaiian one appeals to me! I like your book report posts!

Nann said...

Thanks for the recommendations, Alycia.

Rebecca Smith said...

I tend to gravitate to that time period or Civil War. Both have so many interesting stories!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I read lots of books set in WWII.

Kate said...

It's been a while since I've read any historical fiction. These all sound really interesting.