Monday, November 13, 2017

SkyBall part 1

I had an opportunity of a lifetime.... and I took it!

I was invited to Dallas , Texas for SkyBall , and the Medal of Honor Societies Gala - and wow - what a three day event!!

The first night was the 


THE CONGRESSIONAL MEDAL OF HONOR SOCIETY BOB HOPE AWARD GALA
TO BENEFIT THE CONGRESSIONAL MEDAL OF HONOR FOUNDATION

... there were over 17 Medal of Honor recipients there - I think I tried to meet them all - what an honor and a privilege -

15 were from VietNam, 1 from Korea, and 1 Iraq wars/conflicts - and Wow.....

It was so great, and I was so busy learning about these veterans that I didn't take any photos of them with me - can you believe it?  Plus - they were probably photo-ed out!



That's my shirt - I loved it!!

This is the hallway you walk down to the gala
I only tripped once..... that anyone saw!

(Ps I was wearing heels - *gasp* )


They had a great program
Americas Tenor 
(that's how they introduced him and I can't remember the name, and I am too lazy to go get my program to tell you)

Sang with a group of kids, and the kids came and stood by a MOH 
This was mine ( okay - he was at my table ...Robert Ingram)


and Look!
I met Gary Sinise
LT Dan himself!!

Okay really he wanted to meet me, I could see it in his eyes 
I mean really - I am So much more of a celebrity than him right 
Ha ha ha

What a great guy!
So kind and gracious


I was sitting by him, you should have seen the way he interacted with people
I tell you - if all celebs were like him - it'd be a better world!!

Then - he and Tony Orlando!!
Singing "Tie a Yellow Ribbon"
and Surprise!
I knew every word!


Thanks to my Mom and Grandma playing it on the piano so many times
*or rather!  having me and my brother play it on the Player Piano for them*

Seriously 
This was such an honor to be a part of

They award a person the
 " Bob Hope Award for Excellence in Entertainment in Support of Our Nations Military"

Terry Fator was the reciepient
You should look him up!!

And that was day one.....


10 comments:

Rhonda said...

What a fantastic experience!! I'll bet you're floating on air. Dallas is about 80 miles from me. You mean I was thar close to the lady who inspired me ( that would be you) to make quilts of honor this year, to give to the Vets at my Seniors Activity Center! So close.....! I gave them out on the first of this month. Visit my blog when you get time to see the happy faces!

Jan Schell said...

Wow! What an honor.

Quiltdivajulie said...

What a most excellent experience!!!

Gypsy Quilter said...

Fantastic, simply fantastic to be part of such a wonderful event. Are you down off the cloud yet, and back to sewing?

Lynne Stucke said...

What an honor!!! We were at the HaleKoa one year during their annual 'reunion', and were blessed to get to talk to several of these true heroes during our stay. What marvelous, humble men!!! And, what a privilege to spend time with them! Of course, me NOT being as famous (nor glamorous) as you, Gary wasn't there to meet me . . . but I will say, he is another person I highly admire and respect; he does SO much for our military and vets, and in an area where is isn't always 'correct' to champion our cause! He is also a hero, in my book!

I'm so glad you were invited to go. Thank you for your service to our vets!

The Joyful Quilter said...

That is TOO cool!!!!!! Looking forward to hearing more about your adventure.

swooze said...

How awesome but dang! I wish I’d known you were in town I’d loved to have met you!

Stephanie D said...

Awesome! Such an honor to be invited, and to meet Gary Sinise on top of that!

Ranch Wife said...

I'm so excited for you - what a cool opportunity! You do so much for our veterans - I'm thrilled that you were able to be a part of this!
I know who Terry is - we saw him when we went to the NFR a few years ago - seems like a wonderful man and very deserving of the honor bestowed upon him.
PS: you clean up good! :)

Kate said...

Looks like a lot of fun!