Thursday, March 30, 2017

Denver Art Museum - Star Wars

My family  *might*   just *might* be HUGE Star Wars fans....


when one of our friends said he was heading to the Denver Art Museum to see the Star Wars exhibit.... would we like to go with.... we all jumped right on in!!!

And now!! I can't wait to go back to see the Western Art one - when it opens!!


So..... I wasn't quite sure what to expect, as I did not do my homework - we got to the museum an hour before our Star Wars tickets and headed into an art gallery.   Where I was promptly teased for taking photos of the wood work, and the picture frames  - as opposed to the art!!


But Seriously!!! Would that not be a cool quilting motif in a corner block??

You all know what I am thinking right?

The art work was amazing, but the detail..... wow!!






And then it was time for us to go into the Star Wars Exhibit!

Wow - had I known what it was I would have totally been there earlier!   It was all the costumes and pageantry of the films!!

Remember - I came to quilting from the Garment industry - and wow - I was blown away!!!  and sort of jealous that I hadn't found some of those fabrics!!

Oh and the other thing? These actors are SOOOO tiny!! I mean short and tiny!

You may recognize this outfit, but being up close are reading about the fabrics , what they used and why was really interesting.


And then seeing the bead work?
Oh my!
This was on a dress that was seen for maybe 10 minutes?


And all the velvets had emblems on them.
I have to admit, that when I watched the films the first time - I did not notice this detail!


Chewy and Han -
My absolute favorite characters
( along with 2 characters of my own!)




it's interesting - to see up close, even the detail of the fabrics on the little creatures


This one was just for me - 
I want a robot
I want a robot that cooks, cleans and does laundry
That is not to much to ask is it?

Oh - and if they follow me around, I want them to write down the thoughts
I think to myself.... the ones that I say - now don't forget this....

Then they will remember, and when I remember that I forgot - 
they will remember what I wanted!!


This was one of Padme Amidala dresses
Oh my stars!!
The details!




I think we spent a few hours in there - or maybe more
The boys were hungry .... but sometimes that is not a good indicator of time!

After they ate we went back in to some of the other exhibits....

and of course - I took more photos.... 

for next week..... ha ha

8 comments:

Libby in TN said...

Oh, how lucky to have that exhibit in your area! I remember dragging my family to the first movie, based solely on hearing the music on an NPR news show. Became fans at the opening credits!

Judy V from Thornton CO said...

Holy Smokes! And I love your commentary along with your amazing photos, too!

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

I love the detail on these garments! Thank you for sharing! mary in Az

Barob Book Blog said...

Love, love, love these photos. Getting inspiration from the frames is awesome. Don't you think that the carpenters who created/built them are a little under rated? Museums always get the creative juices flowing.
I sent the website to my family in CO so hopefully they can get tickets. Hans and Chewwy are my favorite characters too!

Salmagundi said...

The Denver Art Museum is one of our favorite stops in Denver. My husband and I haven't been to the Star Wars exhibit (too many health procedures since Dec.), but our son went. He said it was wonderful. Thanks for sharing your trip --- so much quilting inspiration. Sally

Pat said...

How fun!! Thanks for sharing.

Kate said...

Oh wow, that details are gorgeous. I'm not sure I paid that much attention to the clothes in the films. Now I'll have to rewatch a few of the movies and see if I can pick out those details.

Rachaeldaisy said...

What a fun family day out!! How great that there is a Star Wars museum.