Monday, August 29, 2011

Design Wall Monday

Oh Ya'll I am so excited - I did some sewing and I finished something - sort of - and Oh man - who ever's husband pick on them for having too much stash - let them know this is SO much cheaper than therapy!!!

The Quilt I have been working on is a sort of Memory Quilt. A lot of you know we lost our Girls a little over a month ago. So I pulled fabrics that reminded me of them and all the fun crazy things they did, and started a memory quilt. I will give it to A when it is all complete, as in quilted and ....sit down...... bound!!!

Working on this thing was so cathartic to me, I could remember thing, and events, and conversations and it made me happy. I will still miss them, but this was good for me.... anyways - want to see it? 

This one is big, cuz I wanted the center of each star to be 5 inches.... so I did all my measurements off of that. And that is why it is taking my WHOLE floor LOL



And the other good news is - I will have a change in my stash report next week, cuz I forgot to report this as I was cutting it. See how theraputic this was - I forgot lots of things ;-)

Oh ya - and even though I showed you all - this is a surprise for the reciepient - so if you see him - Mums the word!!! - Okay? Okay!!

For other design walls go to
http://www.patchworktimes.com/

13 comments:

Vicki W said...

That's going to be a wonderful memory quilt! It's great to work on a project that helps you forget everything else.

Kathie said...

Very very cute. I made this same pattern years ago and it is still on my bed.

sosarahsew said...

It is a wonderful therapy for you and memory keeper for him. I did the same thing a few years ago when I lost some friends.

cityquilter grace said...

alycia, a true labor of love for sure....glad to hear your quilting mojo is back

LizA. said...

Love it! I used the same little Chinese girls in a quilt for cousins when they adopted a little girl from China. I hope A. is doing ok. My heart goes out to him (and you) for his loss. I shared the link to his story with our VW group and they all shared your loss. It will certainly be a constant reminder when choosing camping areas. Don't forget to put a photo of the girls on the label.

Impera Magna said...

What a beautiful quilt! I'm so glad it's helping with your grief... I'm sure the quilt will be treasured always!

Quilter Kathy said...

It is wonderful! Memory quilts help the maker and the receiver!

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful pattern. Is it one of yours?

dubba2@live.com

Kate said...

Beautiful quilt! Love all the colors. You are right, the cost of a stash is much cheaper than therapy!

pcflamingo said...

So colorful and joyful!

Vicki H. said...

I had no idea of the loss your family experienced and want to say I am sorry. And I agree with you, quilting is cheaper than therapy. It has helped me through several tough times in my life too. I hope that you look at this wonderful quilt and smile--every time.

Gari in AL said...

I have not yet had occasion to do a memory quilt but I hope that if/when I do, mine will be as beautiful as yours. My heart broke as I read the news article: my prayers will continue for you and your brother in love.

Jackie Dudek said...

This is so beautiful Alycia. I know it will be so special for its recipient. Your a wonderful, caring and compassionate woman!